Location: Outside of the Electoral Commission Headquarters near the intersection of Independence Ave. and Castle Rd.
Event: Crowds are gathered outside of the Electoral Commission Headquarters, and the Ghana Police Service has set up roadblocks in this vicinity. Police have used tear gas and water cannons to disperse the crowds. Heavy traffic congestion is expected. The Embassy recommends using alternate routes to avoid the area if possible. Additional disturbances may occur with little or no notice.
Actions to Take:
As with all large gatherings, there is a potential for increase in crime. Any demonstration is volatile and can become increasingly confrontational at any moment. The Embassy therefore advises prudence and enhanced security awareness for all such large, crowded, and public events.
- Avoid areas of disturbances and crowds;
- Comply with police checkpoints if encountered;
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests;
- Monitor local media for updates;
- Be aware of your surroundings;
- Keep a low profile; and
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.