United States Embassy Accra, Ghana
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
(September 10, 2018)
Demonstration Alert – Kawukudi
Location: the route will begin at Kawukudi – Jubilee House through Ring Road to Ghana International Trade Fair, but may be rerouted from Kawukudi to Ghana International Trade Fair, avoiding Jubilee House and Ring Road.
Event: The taxi driver collective “Online Private Drivers Association” has organized a march in Accra TODAY, Monday, September 10, 2018, beginning at 09:00am. They plan to demonstrate against rideshare transportation companies and other nontraditional taxi drivers. Several hundred demonstrators are expected.
Actions to Take:
As with all large gatherings, there is a potential for increase in crime. The Embassy advises prudence and enhanced security awareness for all large, crowded public events where the risk of pickpocketing is higher. Furthermore, nontraditional taxis and rideshare companies may be targeted during this demonstration, therefore using such transport may be at increased risk.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations;
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests;
- Monitor local media for updates;
- Keep a low profile;
- Remain aware of your surroundings; and
- Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- U.S. Embassy in Accra, located at No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
+233 30 2741 000 (normal business hours)
+233 30 2741 775 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ghana Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter