Event: Ghana’s Border Closure Extended for Two Weeks
On April 4, 2020, the Government of Ghana announced that it would extend the closure of its borders for an additional two weeks beginning Sunday, April 5, 2020. The government stated it is taking this step to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and to continue its testing and contact tracing program.
Additionally, the U.S. Embassy has received isolated reports of verbal harassment of foreigners based on the misperception that foreigners are responsible for spreading COVID-19. Americans in Ghana are reminded to keep a low profile and observe the restrictions on movement put in place by the Government of Ghana in the Accra and Kumasi metropolitan areas.
Any U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident who wishes to be considered for future repatriation flights from Ghana to the United States must complete the online request form available here. Do this EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SENT YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS to us via email. Submit one form per person, and please do NOT call or email the Embassy to confirm receipt of your request. It is only necessary to complete the form once per person.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media outlets.
- Visit Ready.gov for a list of suggested supplies to have on hand.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the virus.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible
U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
+(233) 30-27-41-000 (after hours)
No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
P.O. Box GP 2288
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444