Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana (June 15, 2020)
Event: Updated Repatriation Flight Information
Repatriation Flights: The U.S. Embassy in Accra is aware of information circulating publicly that there was a U.S. Government chartered repatriation flight to the United States in recent days. This is not the case. The most recent repatriation flight coordinated by the U.S. Embassy in Accra was on May 16. Moreover, the embassy does not currently have any additional repatriation flights proposed.
The U.S. Embassy in Accra is aware that there are U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) who are still interested in a U.S. Government chartered repatriation flight to the United States. While we continue to explore every option to help Americans return home, Ghana’s land, sea, and air borders remain closed to human traffic until further notice, and commercial air travel is not available. All U.S. citizens and LPRs in Ghana should prepare to remain in Ghana until commercial air travel resumes.
The only reliable source of information about U.S. Government chartered repatriation flights is the U.S. Embassy in Accra. Unless you receive an email from the embassy, using an email address ending in @state.gov providing specific instructions, please do not come to the embassy or go to the airport.
All U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents who are interested in a potential chartered repatriation flight to the United States must complete the online request form available here. If you have already completed the form, DO NOT submit a new one. Please do not email the embassy to confirm receipt of your request. We will contact potential passengers if and when space on any additional flights becomes available.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security, travel, and health updates.
- Review the President of Ghana’s speech announcing the extended border closure and phased easing on public gatherings.
- To learn what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our U.S. Embassy in Accra’s website on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit Ready.gov for a list of suggested supplies to have on hand.
U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
+(233) 30-27-41-000 24/7 for a recorded message
No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
P.O. Box GP 2288
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444