Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
Event: Ghana’s Restrictions on Gatherings Extended to April 26
On April 12, 2020, the Government of Ghana announced that it is extending the restrictions on public gatherings for two weeks. The extension takes effect on Monday, April 13th and will end Sunday night April 26. This directive is in addition to the extended restrictions on movement announced on April 9 and that conclude on April 20. We encourage all Americans in Ghana to follow the Government of Ghana’s directives as part of their effort to “flatten the curve.” In addition, Ghana’s borders are closed until further notice. Information on the extended restrictions on gatherings can be found here.
REPATRIATION FLIGHTS: Flights on all commercial airlines in and out of Ghana have been cancelled. Each U.S. citizen or LPR traveler interested in any future repatriation flights must complete the online request form available here. Do this EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SENT YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS to us via email, and please do NOT call or email the Embassy to confirm receipt of your request. It is necessary to complete the form only once per person. Unless you receive an email from U.S. Embassy Accra, using an email address ending in @state.gov and instructing you to come to the airport, please do not come to the Embassy or go to the airport.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media outlets.
- Review the Government of Ghana’s directive extending the restrictions on gatherings.
- Review the President of Ghana’s April 9th speech extending the restrictions on movement.
- Visit Ready.gov for a list of suggested supplies to have on hand.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the virus.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
+(233) 30-27-41-000 (after hours)
No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
P.O. Box GP 2288
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates