Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana (May 12, 2020)
Event: U.S. Embassy Repatriation Flight Information and Continued Ghana Restaurant, Bar, and Night Club Closure
All U.S. citizens and LPRs who are interested in a potential chartered repatriation flight to the United States must complete the online request form available here.(If you have already completed the form, DO NOT submit a new one.) Submit one form per person with your complete contact information, and please DO NOT call or email the Embassy to confirm receipt of your request.
Unless you receive an email from the U.S Embassy in Accra, using an email address ending in @state.gov and instructing you to come to the airport, please do not come to the Embassy or go to the airport.
Ban on Public Gatherings Still Includes Bars, Night Clubs, and Restaurants
The Government of Ghana’s ban on all public gatherings is in effect until May 31. On May 13, the Ministry of Tourism released clarifying guidance to the hospitality industry, stating that all bars and night clubs must remain closed, and that all restaurants (including hotel restaurants) may operate take-out and delivery food service only. All U.S. citizens should continue to follow Government of Ghana health directives, limit their movements to essential errands, and continue wearing facemasks in public and practice social distancing.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security, travel, and health updates.
- Monitor local media outlets.
- Review the President of Ghana’s speech announcing the extended border closure, and his speech announcing the extended ban on public gatherings.
- To learn what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our U.S. Embassy in Accra’s website on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit Ready.gov for a list of suggested supplies to have on hand.
- U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
+(233) 30-27-41-000 (after hours)
No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
P.O. Box GP 2288
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook