Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana (April 20, 2020)
Event: Ghana’s Restrictions on Movement Lifted
On April 19, 2020, Ghanaian President Akufo-Addo announced the lifting of restrictions on movement for the Accra and Kumasi metropolitan areas. However, the government’s suspension on all public gatherings remains in effect, Ghana’s international borders are closed until May 4, and international commercial flights remain suspended. The U.S. Embassy remains in its maximum telework posture and is closed to the public. For emergency American Citizen Services, please contact the U.S. Embassy’s American Citizen Services Unit via e-mail at ACSAccra@state.gov.
We encourage all Americans in Ghana to follow the Government of Ghana’s directives in their effort to “flatten the curve.”
Health Information: Ghana has confirmed over 1,000 cases of COVID-19. If you believe that you or someone you know has been exposed to coronavirus or are showing symptoms of the disease, please follow the guidance provided by the Ghana Health Service.
- The Government of Ghana has set up two phone numbers for questions regarding coronavirus: 050 949 7700 & 055 843 9868. Please call these numbers to learn where you can be tested.
- Ridge Hospital and Tema General Hospital have been designated as COVID-19 treatment centers. The Government of Ghana is currently expanding to Ga East Hospital to further support COVID-19 isolation/treatment of confirmed cases.
- The Ghana Health Service maintains a COVID-19 information website with useful information.
Repatriation Flights: At this time, we do not anticipate that there will be additional charter flights organized from Ghana to the United States. In the event future charter flights become available, please complete the information in this form for each traveler wishing to depart Ghana. You must complete a form for EACH intended traveler, including children and non-U.S. citizen accompanying family members. If you have already submitted this form to provide your information to the U.S. Embassy, you do not need to do so again. We have automatically retained your information, and will contact you if future flights become available.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media outlets.
- Review the latest information announced by the President of Ghana.
- Visit Ready.gov for a list of suggested supplies to have on hand.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the virus.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
+(233) 30-27-41-000 (after hours)
No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
P.O. Box GP 2288
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Country Information for Ghana
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.