Event: Government of Ghana movement restrictions in the Greater Accra and Kumasi Metropolitan areas
The U.S. Embassy would like to call your attention to the restrictions on movement that the Government of Ghana (GoG) instituted beginning at 1:00 a.m. on Monday, March 30. The full text of President Akufo-Addo’s speech announcing these restrictions can be found here.
The restriction covers the Greater Accra and Kumasi Metropolitan Areas and will last until April 13.
- All residents of the affected areas are asked to stay home during that time and only go out only for essential needs, including food and medicine.
- There will be no non-essential inter-city movement of commercial or personal vehicles.
- Some essential workers are exempted from the order. A list of those professions is provided in the text of the President’s speech (see below link).
- The new restrictions are in addition to those already in place.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media outlets.
- Review the President of Ghana’s speech announcing the restrictions.
- Visit Ready.gov for a list of suggested supplies to have on hand.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the virus.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
+(233) 30-27-41-000 (after hours)
No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
P.O. Box GP 2288
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Country Information for Ghana
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook