This message refers to guidance from March 2020. It is no longer valid. For emergency American Citizen Services contact us at ACSAccra@state.gov.
We recognize this has been a challenging period for many American citizen travelers affected by the suspension of international flights and the impending closure of Accra’s Kotoka International Airport.
If you are interested in being contacted in the event that additional flights or repatriation flights to the United States are scheduled, please send an email to ACSAccra@state.gov with the subject line “Return Travel to the U.S.” and include the following information for each U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident guardian accompanying minor children in your family or group:
- Full name as it appears on your passport
- Citizenship (only for Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.)
- Passport number
- Date of birth
- Date of passport issuance and expiration
- Email address and contact phone number
Please do not call the Embassy to confirm receipt of your email; we will contact you if a flight is arranged and you are confirmed for a seat on one of these flights. In the event these flights are full and there is still demand, we will make every effort to arrange additional flights. Unless you receive an email from U.S Embassy Accra confirming your flight, please do not come to the Embassy or go to the airport in Accra.
Additional information will be posted to the Embassy’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter feeds as well as the Embassy’s website as it becomes available. The United States Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens in Ghana to complete the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at https://step.state.gov/step/. STEP is a free service to help the U.S. Embassy and Consulate contact American citizens in an emergency.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States .
- U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
+(233) 30-27-41-000 (after hours)
No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
P.O. Box GP 2288
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Country Information for Ghana
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.