Location: Bawku and surrounding areas
Event: The U.S. Embassy has received reports of escalated tensions and associated violence in Bawku and surrounding areas in Ghana’s Upper East Region, near the border with Burkina Faso. U.S. citizens traveling in Ghana should exercise caution while visiting border areas, in particular the northern border, and be sure to read Security Alerts affecting those areas. Due to security concerns in remote areas, travel of U.S. government personnel to the northern and northwestern border is currently limited.
Read the entire Ghana Travel Advisory here.
Actions to Take:
· Exercise caution while visiting border areas, particularly the northern border.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
· Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens: https://gh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
· U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
· State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)