The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana, has received unsubstantiated information that U.S. citizens may be targeted for kidnapping for ransom in northern Ghana, to include the Upper East Region and the Upper West Region.
U.S. citizens traveling in Ghana should exercise caution while visiting border areas, in particular the northern border, and be sure to stay abreast of any Security Alerts affecting those areas. Due to concerns over criminal activity in remote areas, travel of U.S. government personnel to the northern and northwestern border is currently limited.
Read the entire Ghana Travel Advisory here.
Actions to Take:
- All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens: https://gh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/
- U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
o Email: ACSAccra@state.gov
o 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)