Location: Northern Region (Tamale/Yendi and surrounding areas).
Event: Beginning on December 14, 2018, groups in Tamale, Yendi, and surrounding villages will hold funerals for their respective former chieftains. Extreme violence is likely and there are inadequate medical resources in the region.
All but mission-essential travel by U.S. Embassy personnel to these regions is not advisable until the issue is resolved. Our ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in these areas is extremely limited.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to or through the Northern Region, especially the surrounding areas from Tamale and Yendi;
- Keep a low profile;
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations;
- Monitor local media for updates;
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance;
- Remain aware of your surroundings; and
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy in Accra, located at No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
- +233 30 2741 000 (normal business hours)
- +233 30 2741 775 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ghana Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter