The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that, due to credible reports of growing crime rates, U.S. Embassy personnel have been instructed to avoid the following precincts of Accra:
- Ashaiman (located in the Tema Region)
- Nima *(see below)
*Except when traveling via the main highway past Nima.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to avoid the same areas.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
For further information about security in Ghana:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Ghana.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Accra, located at No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra +233 30 2741 000 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Friday. After- hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +233 30 2741 000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- See the website of U.S. Embassy Accra.
- Follow the Embassy on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow the Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.