A child born outside of the United States to a U.S. citizen, or to a person married to a U.S. citizen at the time of the birth, may acquire U.S. citizenship and be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). For all CRBA interviews, once you have everything in order using the information below, please make an appointment using our online system at If, after reviewing the information, you have any questions or require assistance making an appointment, please send an email to We will respond as quickly as possible, and generally within 24 hours. In order to avoid delays, make sure to have your documentation completed and ready for adjudication at the time of your interview. Failure to do so will result in delays and may require you to make a follow-on appointment at the Embassy for further adjudication. When filling out forms, do not leave any fields blank. For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable). The following list will aid you in making sure you have everything in order and, again, please email to clarify any questions ahead of your interview.

  • Complete Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad DS-2029, to include properly completing the proof of presence information on pages 2 and 3, as appropriate; and
  • Complete passport application DS-11(if you are applying for your child’s passport as well);
  • Gather documents: On the day of your appointment, you will need all of the following (original and one photocopy of each document):
    • Child’s original birth certificate issued by the Civil Registrar.
    • Two passport pictures (2”x2”) of the child.
    • Proof of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship, such as an original U.S. birth certificate, passport, CRBA, Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship.
    • Proof of physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s): valid time includes when undocumented, as a Legal Permanent Resident, or as a U.S. citizen. All physical presence must have occurred prior to the birth of the child. Examples of proof of physical presence includes vaccination records, baptismal certificate, elementary and middle school report cards, high school and college transcripts and diplomas, military records (DD-214), income tax return, W2s (from employment held while in the United States), Social Security Statement, old passports, etc. You can often find significant evidence of your proof of presence through your tax records by visiting and retrieving your estimated lifetime earnings by year.
    • Proof of identity for each parent: a valid, original passport, or driver license.
    • Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s): If you are married, provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate. If you were previously married, please provide marriage, divorce, or death certificates for all previous marriages.
    • Pregnancy/antenatal and birth records: dated ultrasounds/scans containing the name of the mother, laboratory test results, doctor/ultrasound/hospital receipts, pictures of the mother pregnant, pictures of mother and baby immediately following the birth and during the hospital stay. Any and all hospital or medical documents (discharge orders, paid hospital bill, prescriptions following the birth, etc.)
    • Proof of relationship between parents: For example, time-stamped photos of the couple together before, during, and after the pregnancy, photos of the U.S. citizen parent with the newborn baby, Western Union money transfer receipts over time, birthday cards, email printouts, lease agreements, bank statements, home utility bills, etc. Proof the couple was together at the time of conception, i.e. passport with entry and exit stamps, etc.

On the day of your appointment at the Embassy, the child and at least one of the biological parents must appear in person unless alternate arrangements have been approved by the Embassy. You must bring all of the above documents, plus two photocopies of each. In addition, inside the Embassy, you must pay $100 USD (or equivalent in Ghana Cedis) to apply for the CRBA. If you decide to apply for your child’s first-time passport at the same time, you must pay an additional $135 USD (or equivalent in Ghana Cedis) for that application and follow all appropriate guidelines found here. There are no refunds for either service, and payment must be made in cash.

Please note that the Consular Cashier cannot accept any bills older than 2006. Please visit here for other important information on forms, fees and other required documentation.