Fiancé(e) Visa

The fiancé(e) K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. You can learn more about fiancé(e) visas on

Important note:  You are not eligible to receive a K-1 fiancé(e) visa if you marry prior to your K-1 visa interview.  Many marriages in Ghana are performed under customary law, and written records are kept only if the couple chooses to register their marriage with the local registrar.  Sometimes, individuals misconstrue the traditional marriage ceremony as only an engagement ceremony.  However, under Ghanaian marriage law, once a “bride price” has been paid as part of an engagement ceremony, a traditional marriage has taken place and is lawful regardless of whether it has been registered.  If you are already married, your U.S. citizen spouse must file a spousal immigrant visa petition, Form I-130, for you to immigrate to the United States.